Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cat sat, sat, sat: Guess Who's Reading?

Archie's reading! I, of course, am really proud of him!

It started with the alphabet a long time ago. Then, we progressed to phonics games. I started these just after he turned two but gave up shortly thereafter because he wasn't quite ready (of course :)
We re-doubled our efforts as part of my New Year's Resolution to start doing school with Archie.
We made him his very own story book out of construction paper, and he has been learning one sight word a day.

Here's a sample page he can read:


Meanwhile, we were playing phonics games with alphabet blocks, magnetic letters, stickers, etc.

While he was making good progress, this was a ton of work for mom (and not necessarily the most strategic plan) so I bought him the 1998 Hooked on Phonics off Ebay. I love Ebay. Today I did the first two lessons with him. This is the first story (in video). It consisted completely of "at" words. The second story "Dan Ran" was a little more difficult because it combined "at" words with "an" words. He was really proud of himself when he finished.


I think we're good on reading for the day. Next subject this afternoon...Math!

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

we all thought your kids were geniuses anyway! Little dude is bilingual!
btw...Guess who decided to take a trip in May. :)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

That is awesome!!!!