Monday, May 26, 2008

Curiosity in Asia (Top 10 List)

Leslie’s Top 10 Most Commonly Asked Questions by Total Strangers (when out with the baby)

  1. Boy or girl? (They don’t really do pink or blue here so they have to ask.)
  2. How many months? (When we first came, this meant how many months pregnant was I. Now, it refers to Archie’s age.)
  3. Are you Russian? (Some people don’t even bother asking. They just emphatically tell their friends: “Look at the Russians!”)
  4. Is the baby too cold?
  5. Do you like the food here?
  6. Is his father Asian? (Does he look like he could possibly have an Asian father?)
  7. What do you do for a living?
  8. Have you been to the ice festival? (Our city is famous for its festival of ice sculptures. Hunt’s been but I haven’t because the baby was a little too young for the extreme cold temps this winter.)
  9. How much do you make every month? (Awkward until you learn how to deal with it!)
  10. Do you produce enough milk? (Not exactly the kind of question we’d ask a total stranger in America, but it’s their way of showing their care for the baby.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might pass for Brits or Aussies, but Russian??? By the way, Dad and I don't know the answer to all those questions.
Love, Me-maw

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! Those are great! Some of those are the same with us, but some are very different... They usually assume that we're Americans (except I've had a couple of people think I'm Mexican...)... That last one was HILARIOUS!!! haha! We have people ask us if we feed Aashini the American way, or the Indian way (they think the indian way is breastfeeding and the American way is bottle feeding) ;) Man, that's a funny post ;)

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

Haha! Most people here just assume the ONLY way is breastfeeding. OK, the answer to the questions: boy, 8 months, NOT Russian although we do live close to the border, the baby's not cold (usually), food's great, his Dad's American, we teach English, Hunt's been and I haven't, CAN YOU PLEASE NOT ASK THAT!, the milk's enough, thanks!