Friday, February 20, 2009

Seoul Korea, Day 1

We had a fantastic time on our first trip to Seoul! This is largely thanks to our friends Eli, Sang Ju and their daughter Selah who let us stay with them and were wonderful tour guides! (Hunter and I were actually starting to experience some culture shock upon arrival because we found ourselves in a country with which we are unfamiliar and do not speak the language.) I have so many wonderful pictures I didn't know where to start so I decided to start with Day 1. (This is Day 1 of 2 in case you're wondering.)

After a brief nap to catch up on some sleep we missed during our all night plane ride from Thailand, they took us out for a great Korean lunch!

Here's a close-up of the food we ate. It features a pumpkin soup appetizer, seaweed for wrapping rice, a tofu soup (black bowl), delicious roasted beef, flat pieces of fish (on plate by beef), a large yummy pancake (not yet on table), smaller fish and vegetable pancakes (in front of beef) and many accompanying sauces and dishes including Korea's famous kim-chi. (Koreans eat kim-chi, which is generally a fermented, spicy cabbage or radish with every meal as far as I can tell.) Hunter and I think Koreans might hold the world record for dirtying the most dishes during a single meal. It's worth it, though!

Archie was ready to chow down!

Carefully note the table arrangements. Koreans like to sit on the floor while they eat around a coffee-height table. (Actually, due to the babies, after posing at this table we headed to a more Western style one so we could contain our kiddos in high chairs.)

This is one of the first streets I walked down. Isn't it pretty with all the flags?

This is a lovely lake in the middle of the city. Unfortunately, the day was a little overcast so the picture is a little dark.
When we got off the airport shuttle, we arrived at Hotel Lotte, where Eli met us in his car and drove us to his house. Here's the Lotte raccoon!

What did we eat for dinner that night? Pizza at home from a local pizza parlor! I had forgotten how good carry-out pizza tastes!

No comments: