Tuesday, May 13, 2008
WAHHH!
It's finally happened. He's started crying. He's a baby, of course he's always cried. But, now he's started crying as a form of self expression. In the past, his crying was fairly limited to definite needs - hunger, a diaper change, sleep, or discomfort. Now, his crying expresses his displeasure over a variety of situations including losing a favorite toy, his beloved Mama walking out of the room or changing play activities on someone else's schedule. This morning as I was lifting him out of the bathtub (one of his favorite places) and he started wailing. After quickly assessing the situation and finding nothing out of the ordinary, it hit me. He's crying because he isn't finished playing in the water! Although no mother likes hearing her child cry and I realize this is the beginning of him manifesting little selfish characteristics, it's kind of exciting at the same time. My baby is growing up and can express his more abstract needs and desires. Now, I have the next 18 years to explain to him the more acceptable ways of self expression. Maybe we need to start teaching him sign language sooner than I thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Cute story and you work it so well! I thought about you yesterday on your first Mother's Day! Hope you had a wonderful day! If you enjoy being a mother, just wait until you're a GRANDMOTHER. I know....it seems like a long way off....but...believe me, it isn't! Happy belated Mother's Day!
When you think of all the things he can't do or can't have yet (it's hard being 8 mos. old), what's a little extra time in the tub?! I vote for more tub time, Archie. I'm with you!
Love, Me-maw
That is awesome. We do sign with our kids and Owen (10 months) does More, Milk, Light, Hi and Yeah. He also says mama, dada, yeah, hi, papa and baba (milk).
I am a sign teacher at Gymboree and see all the benifts of it!!! I say start now, you will be amazed how fast he will learn. Kids that sign talk at an average of 6 months better than their peers. SEe the health study by the Dr. Goodwyn and Dr. Acredolo. They are the founders of Baby Signs.
Glad to hear he is doing great!!!!
it's harder than you think! we've tried "please" and "more" with eden and she doesn't really understand the concept yet! :) but we'll keep trying! good luck!
haha! Fun :) I love watching them grow up - it's so cool (I know people said that before I had a baby, but it's so much cooler to see in my baby) :)
Becky, I tried Google-ing the link to the sign info you suggested, but I haven't turned up much. Is there a website you recommend?
I love watching them grow, too, and I really enjoyed my first Mother's Day. Archie made me breakfast, bought me roses, cooked me dinner and surprised me with ice cream! (Wasn't it nice of Daddy to help him!)
https://www.babysigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aboutus.main
here is the link for babysigns.com this is what I teach.
For the lady taht said they are having a hard time with please....that is one of the harder signs because it is not a "thing" so is "more" that is a hard one too.
Think of it like this...The child does more while in their highchair one day and gets carrots the next applesauce. The child thinks.."so does the sign 'more', get me carrots or applesauce?" it takes them a while to figure out that it is an abstact sign.
The sign for MILK, DOG, LIGHT, etc are easier. Everytime mommy and daddy do the sign they get the exact samething.
I hope that helps. April, I would love to help you out. If Leslie has your email she is more than welcome to send mine to you! I would love to hear how old you little one is and how we can get her signing very shortly.
talk to you soon....maybe my blog is in for a "siging" post. :-)
Post a Comment