Saturday, July 12, 2008

Walk with me down Center Street!


December brings a winter wonderland, but July brings summer flowers to Zhong Yang Da Jie or Center Street (the most famous street in our city). We recently took several groups of folks on a tour. They all had fun so I thought I'd offer a virtual tour to everyone.

Family portrait in front of Saint Sophia Russian Orthodox Church (now museum). Our city is heavily influenced by Russian architecture.

Better view of the church

We had three babies with us so we were a bit of a tourist attraction ourselves. I told Hunt if I had charged $1 for every photo and video they took of our kids, I'd be rich! It's not often they see white babies. When they do, they squeal in delight, "He's REALLY white!"

Closeup of the babies and their mamas

I spotted some cute triplets and couldn't resist snapping my own picture.

The inscription on the topiary says "Yi Fan Feng Shun" or Smooth Sailing (lit: one mast wind smooth).
Me and my boy!
Center Street ends at the Song Hua River.

We checked out one of the big malls on Center Street. Inside we found a pretty fishpond.

I think Archie wants to go fishing.

What a hot day! Here's a Russian boy taking advantage of the drink stand.

Sometime I want to visit the inside of this Russian coffee house. Does anyone know if Russian coffee is similar to American coffee?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the tour of Centre Street. The flowers are really beautiful and so are the babies. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Take us on another tour sometime soon. Loved it!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

whoa! cool!! Great pics!!!! That russian architecture is crazy!! Great pics!!