Monday, April 12, 2010

Winter wonderlands and weddings from windows

When looking out my window slightly before 8 a.m. the other day, I caught sight of this lovely bride being picked up for her wedding. Unlike America, where the groom can't see the bride on the wedding day, the groom must head over early to the bride's house to pay her family and friends some "bribe money" delivered in red envelopes for the privilege of picking her up. (Nowadays I think that is mainly just part of a fun tradition.) I couldn't resist leaning out my window and snapping a few shots.

Here is the processional of cars. Most Chinese weddings take place in restaurants. Once you've registered and paid your fee, you're legally married (no need of further ceremony) so the wedding is just a celebration. Traditionally, the bride wears red but Western style wedding dresses are more popular every year.

The return of winter. What was missing from those wedding pics (snapped Saturday)? SNOW. What's back today (see below). Yeah! What's this, April 12? Winter, will you ever let go? I got so excited one day last week because I saw snow for the first time in about six months (meaning above freezing temps) but now...


No comments: