Friday, July 24, 2009

The Merry Monitors

Yes, it's roaming loose my friend. No cages, no safety bars. I feel just like a National Geo photographer inching closer while trying not to scare it away (or get eaten for lunch). What is it, you may ask? A monitor lizard. Some of the monitors that roam free in Lumpini Park are quite large - maybe four feet long. Others are so petite they're almost cute. What do they really eat? I've seen them devouring fairly large fish on the bank, but unfortunately couldn't sneak in any of those shots today.





And, at the same park with the Merry Monitors, there is a nice playground where merry children can also roam free. Archie certainly enjoyed the slide and the new Thai friends he made today.





And, the question of the day: Where is Grace? We kind of thought she'd be here by now as the doctor has assured us during the last two appointments everything's ready to go, but she's evidently wanting to wait a little longer to make her appearance. At this point, we're kind of hoping she'll hold off until her July 28 due date when her Grandparents DeJs arrive.

4 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Whoa!!! That's crazy!! Fun pics!! Archie is cute on that slide!

Chad and Krista said...

Yep, I keep checking back time and again to see if that little girl has showed her beautiful face yet. They always come right on His time! Well I thought Charles would be coming any day for 3 weeks and he held out till the day before his due date and labor was 2.5 hours total, so just make sure your bags are packed. It could be that the longer she waits the faster she may come. :)
Hey and cool lizards! Keep enjoying each day, it looks like you all are making the most of this trip!
Love you all, Krista

Jennifer said...

Pardon my ignorance, but why are they called "monitors"?
Your blog never disappoints; there's always something fun and exciting to see. We'll be thinking of you guys, and we look forward to hearing about Grace's arrival.

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

Jennifer, I am a little ignorant about reptiles/amphibians, too. You can check the Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard), but I can't figure out the reason for the word "monitor"