Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pass the eggplant, please!

Notice I said, "Pass the eggplant" not "Pass UP the eggplant." That's right, Folks, Archie LOVES eggplant. I think it's his favorite veggie to date. He must take after his Mama. Eggplant is super popular around here. When taking pictures, the locals say "Eggplant" instead of "Cheese." (The ending of their word for eggplant is similar to our word for cheese, which results in the same nice smile.) He also loves carrots, green beans, zucchini, asparagus, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas and pears. He tolerates peas and pumpkin. Basically, if I feed it to him, he eats it. He hasn't rejected anything yet. Below watch him enjoy his eggplant from his brand new big boy high chair!




I can feed myself. (Just kidding!)


Hunter has been encouraging me to expand the horizons of my blog beyond a collection of Archie pictures to concrete and helpful information. (Although, isn't a picture worth 1000 words?) Sounds like fun, though, so here goes...

I'm always on the quest for the next food to introduce to Archie. I've been adding one new food every four days for awhile now. I think Archie needs more protein so lentils are next on the schedule. Take my poll on what your baby likes best (if you can still remember). Then, leave me a comment with other suggestions. If you've got a baby and you're in need of suggestions, too, check out my favorite website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/.


Which is/was your baby's favorite food
Bananas
Apples
Pears
Other fruits
Sweet potatos
Carrots
Green beans
Peas
Avacodos
Other veggies
Cereals
Meat
Other
Free polls from Pollhost.com
Poll Results
OK, I'll admit this isn't the most enlightening poll ever, but it was fun to see what you said.
Babies evidently don't have much consensus on favorite foods because the results were:
13% bananas
13%apples
13%green beans
25%sweet potatoes
13%other vegetables
13%cereals
13%other
I would sure love to know more about the other votes. Maybe Archie would like the other foods, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an idea for a poll. Post a series of Archie pics and we vote on the best one! I am so glad that he eats his veggies. I hope you don't introduce the more exotic native dishes until he is much older--maybe 10 or 12. You are creating a great blog. I look forward to opening it each day.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yum!! I can't wait to try eggplant - sounds like a good one. They love eggplant over here too. I just made up some Avacado to try next week. I can't wait to see what your poll says :) I didn't vote because my vote would skew the results considering she's only had rice :)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

We're starting Avocado today :) Fun!!
OK, so what do you think about carrots and those veggies that have nitrates?? I was just reading about them and they freaked me out!

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

I hope someone with more expertise than me can answer Andrea's question. I'm not really worried about nitrates because I didn't think they were a problem in babies over 3 months. Did you learn something else and where? I don't remember nitrate info being on the wholesomebabyfood site. They do have a list of the top 8 allergy causing foods: Milk , Egg, Peanut, Tree nut (walnut, cashew, etc.), Fish, Shellfish ,Soy and wheat. These account for 90% of allergies.
On another note, I wish I could buy avocado here!!! Thanks for sharing your concern.

Anonymous said...

Eggplant? Is that something you prepare yourself or do they actually have eggplant baby food? I'm sure they have a lot more selections than they had when my kids were babies....my "baby" will be 36 this year and my oldest son will be 40 on his next birthday. Enjoy these moments...they pass sooooo quickly.
We never tire of reading about Archie and seeing his pictures! Keep on blogging!
Lois Ragsdale

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

Yes, I make my own. While I LOVE living here because eating out is SO cheap (Hunt and I can eat out for less than $2 or have a nicer meal for around $5) baby food is a little expensive because most people make their own. Plus all my friends are into the homemade thing anyway. I've had a lot of fun doing it. If you want to know what commerical foods are available, check out www.gerber.com.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I love reading about what you are trying and your success with Archie. Most of all the pictures. To be honest, I did not have time to read the blog today. But will. The "diaper thing" was very interesting and I think your information for other mothers would be very helpful. Archie is beautiful. Spinning off of what grandma said, I don't see how we could vote on the best picture of Archie because they are all perfect.

Auntie Pat