Monday, June 2, 2008

IVs: The answer for everything!


When your nose starts running and the sneezing won't stop, what do you reach for first? The pillow, a glass of orange juice, Tylenol, an IV??? Here, they treat EVERYTHING with IVs from the common cold to diseases we would actually treat with an IV in America. Recently, Hunter had a cyst get infected. The doctor began a week of IV treatments to reduce the infection. They coupled that with a red light laser treatment that docs don't use in America. (Makes you feel comforted, right?) When a week later the cyst was larger, redder, and more painful, it was time to take action. A few days ago, Hunter had it lanced and is now going to the hospital every few days to have the dressing changed. Thankfully, he can get the IV from the nurse at our middle school, which saves a bundle of time from having to go into town to the hospital everyday. More often than not, Hunt's not the only one in the school clinic on an IV. They really like to treat colds with an IV of brown Chinese medicine that's popular throughout Asia. Does it work? Hmmm...Some people are believers, but I must admit I'm still a skeptic and won't be rushing in for one the next time I sniffle.

The front of the hospital where Hunter goes for treatment

Pictures from inside the school clinic

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess when you're in "Rome" you do as the "Romans" do....some things may be strange but hopefully they will work! It looks impressive anyway....will get him lots of American attention! (ha)

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

They have their own version of the "When in Rome" saying. They think it's hilarious when I say it! Thankfully, Hunt's done with his IVs now after almost two weeks!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha fun :) I love seeing differences in countries :) i don't think I would be patient enough to sit through all thoe IVs ;)